Saturday, January 11, 2014

Good vs Bad Movies

What makes a movie a "bad" movie? What makes a movie "taboo"? What makes a good movie? What makes an excellent movie?

Each of us has an idea of what we like and don't like. So just because I may not like Lord of the Rings, does that mean I think it's a "bad" movie? No. If I say I like it, does it mean I don't appreciate the books more? No. I believe that books, movies, music and theatre are all separate entities. If a film is being adapted from a book, it is expected to be significantly different. Luckily for us Harry Potter fans the movies are pretty close to the text. As an audience member who reads the books and watches the films, I appreciate both separately. I appreciate the book for expanding my imagination and taking me on a new adventure, and I appreciate the filmmakers and performers who adapted it to the film screen. Filmmakers have more challenges when recreating only what our imagination can see. They attempt to bring our dreams and nightmares life.

I am going to expose a secret to you. I am a Twilight fan. GASP! But here me out before you make any assumptions. The first time I saw the film I watched it with a good friend. It was horribly cheesy, many awkward moments, and unnecessary drama. I didn't give the film any credit what-so-ever. Then I felt I may have missed something. It was a huge blockbuster, and the books were selling largely among young adults and teenagers, so I knew I missed a step somewhere. I watched the film again, and again, and again, until I got it. I identify, in realistic ways, to Bella. The foundation of her character is being the outcast, not fitting in, not comfortable with the new changes in her life. She never planned on living with her father, it was circumstantial. We can all relate to these emotions. Edward is the awkward character. He needs to move the story forward, and he does so in a very odd way. In the books it is easier to read his character, it made more sense on paper. In the film he is just too much.

As the films progress, the story and action gets more mature along with the characters. The humor gets more mature as well, making it easier on the adults watching the films. I love fantasy, vampires and werewolves, magic, etc. I found it interesting how Stephenie Meyer connected these creatures in our modern world. I also found her story and creature adaptation very creative. Some artists, like myself, get our best ideas in our dreams. Stephenie wrote Twilight based on a dream. Not everyone will like or agree with her adaptation, but that doesn't matter. I give her points for creativity. I also give points to Dracula 2000 for the same reason.

The three lead actors playing the starring roles were not the reasons I watched the series. I like Billy Burke who plays Bella's father. I've seen him play a villain before, but this was a very cozy role for him. He can just relax here. Anna Kendrick, who plays one of Bella's new friends, caught everyone's eye after these films. She is a very talented actor. I know we will continue to see great things from her. The Cullen family was very fun to watch. All of the actors are very dedicated to what they do. When you watch the films, you can tell it must've been fun to make them. Sometimes movies aren't made to be "good." They are made because the actors know it will be fun to make, or they make it because it will reach a wide audience, or they make it because it touches them. This one was fun to make, I'm sure!

I particularly like the fifth film, Breaking Dawn Part 2. Bella obtains new abilities and strength. I really enjoy watching her kick butt! I also like seeing Robert Pattinson, who plays Edward, get comfortable as a father. For some of us, this is true eye candy. I think, in many ways, there is an underlying metaphor in Bella's journey from the first film to the last. Sometimes you can't watch a film and accept it literally. Maybe there is something more there.

Lord of the Rings is a great example of movies I like, but don't love. They are brilliantly made, the CG graphics, the actors, the action, everything is the best of the best. These films don't speak to me on a personal level, nor can I relate to them, but they are beautifully executed and worth watching. I haven't had the pleasure of reading the books, but someday I hope to. Right now I'm working on reading the Hunger Games series.

National Lampoons Vacation. We've all seen the variations, but the classic films with Chevy Chase are the best! Christmas Vacation is one of my favorites. Are these "bad" films? No way! They are hilariously funny, with characters and relationships we as an audience can identify with. We know people just like the ones in the films. If they are not members of our families, they are people we work with, our in-laws, etc. Granted these films probably won't receive an academy award, they are friendly, relatable, and fun.

This blog I write, is my way of giving films credit for being a piece of art. Not everyone understands art, or the artists vision, but if we had an open mind and a willingness to learn, we may just get a glimpse of the intention behind the art.

Twilight makes me happy, it makes me feel good. It's a film that doesn't require a lot of thinking. Same for National Lampoons Vacation, or Eragon. Feel good movies are family films, romantic comedies, even action films such as RED or The Avengers. Sometimes it makes us feel good to watch everything get blown up! Films that require thinking are dramas, mysteries, horror, and the like. These films require you to follow along in order to understand where the story is headed.

My recommendation for audiences is to watch films with an open mind. Accept what you don't understand in order to understand the story and the characters better. You may get the most out of your experience this way.

In theatre we talk about the "willing suspension of disbelief." This is the audiences willingness to accept what they are seeing. Letting go and believing in the characters, the plot, the action, and the emotions. When you can let go, your emotions will soar.



No comments:

Post a Comment