Saturday, January 4, 2014

Magic Mike

A while back I watched Magic Mike for the first time. I had heard so much from my peers about how great it was, I was curious and decided to watch it. I was never a fan of male strippers, however I knew Channing Tatum had dance training. I knew he would be fun to watch. Here is my original facebook review.

Facebook:
Channing Tatum did an excellent job! A great opportunity to show off his talent for dance. The show stealer for me was Matthew McConaughey. He was fun to watch, and his character was unlike any other he has ever played. This film won't win an academy award, but it was fun, and I'm sure it was fun to make!



My honest opinion of this film is that it is simply a fun movie. Channing Tatum wasn't even the lead actor, he played a supporting role to an unknown actor who was lead. Personally the story isn't my cup of tea. The story is about a guy who couch surfs, is unemployed, and is a general delinquent to society. He meets Mike, Tatum's character, while working his first day at a construction job. Finding himself out of work again, Mike bumps into him again later, and proceeds to introduce him to a new, and more interesting, social life. "The Kid" as he is now being called, is introduced to the MC of the stripper show, Matthew McConaughey's character, and is employed as another dancer. What follows is a sex, drugs, and wild life style that jeopardizes The Kid's future and wellbeing. His sister who looks after him, whom Mike has an interest in, keeps bailing her brother out of trouble and is fearful of his reckless new lifestyle and friends. 

The rest of the film isn't even noteworthy, it becomes predictable. The best parts of this film were the dance sequences. Channing Tatum is an excellent dancer, and a great dose of eye candy. The other fella's aren't bad to look at either. Matthew McConaughey really shows off his moves and built physique as well, but not until the end of the film. That scene is worth the wait!

I would appreciate the film more if Channing Tatum was the lead actor. The story would've been more interesting to watch if that was the case. I mean, the film was named after is character anyway. Why would you call it Magic Mike, if Mike wasn't even the focus? 



No comments:

Post a Comment